[Lustre-discuss] Bad lmm_size during open replay for inode

Andreas Dilger andreas.dilger at oracle.com
Tue Nov 23 09:12:34 PST 2010

On 2010-11-23, at 05:01, Frederik Ferner wrote:
> during a planned MDT fail over today, we got a number of these messages
> below, can anyone explain what this could be?
>
>> Nov 23 08:33:26 cs04r-sc-mds01-01 kernel: Lustre: 21054:0:(mds_open.c:367:mds_create_objects()) Bad lmm_size during open replay for inode 111003141

This means that the client (trying to recreate a file that was not saved to disk during the MDS failover) sent the layout information, but the size it reported for the layout information did not match the size that the MDS thought it should be for that kind of layout.

Unfortunately, the error message doesn't report what those sizes are, so it is hard to know what the impact might be.  The message is only a warning, and it is not necessarily a problem if the client-specified size is larger than the size expected, but it might be a problem if the client-specified size is smaller than expected (which I think is the less likely case).

> This is using Lustre 1.8.3-ddn3.3 on all servers and most clients, some
> clients use 1.8.4.

I can't comment on what changes are in the DDN release, so I don't know if this is specific to that release or not.  In any case, I've never seen these messages before.

> So far we've not noticed any ill effect but would like to know what that
> message is and if we can safely ignore it.

It would only affect the listed inodes, if at all.

Lustre Technical Lead
Oracle Corporation Canada Inc.