[Lustre-discuss] File content lost when removing OSS

Gizo Nanava nanava at physik.uni-bonn.de
Wed Oct 6 09:24:12 PDT 2010

  Hello,

       while moving files from one OSS to another (we want to remove
this OSS from the lustre fs, so all osts on this OSS were inactive ), we
observed that many files lost their content. OSS removing was done as
usual, first 'cp file file.tmp', and then
'mv file.tmp file';   Does anybody observed something similar? How this
could happen?
If we mount OST paritition as ldiskfs, then we see  many files under
O/{0,1,2} with numerical names, like 2351479.
Could them be used to recover lost files?

We use SL5.4, kernel 2.6.18-164.11.1.el5 and lustre 1.8.2

Thank you for any information.
Gizo Nanava