[Lustre-discuss] steps to take to replace a failed ost with permanent data loss

Lisa Giacchetti lisa at fnal.gov
Thu Oct 14 12:22:07 PDT 2010

Hi,
I am looking a definitive list of steps a lustre clustre admin should
take to recover from the following scenario:
    1) an OST in the cluster has had a permanent data failure: The data
can not be recovered but
        device itself will fixed. Please assume that the device is NOT
mounted any more on the OSS it
        was being served from and therefore is NOT listed in the "lctl
dl" command on that OSS.
    2) data lost is not needed and there are no backups of it
    3) It would be beneficial to be able to replace the OST with as the
same device. (ie reuse the index)
        but please include what is used in the "--index" parameter of
each command as the documentation
        on this is severely lacking
    4) running mgs and mdt on two separate servers
    5) there is no fail-over of any kind set up

  I have tried to find the appropriate steps to take  and commands to
use from within the docs and
  have been unsuccessful. So Unsuccessful that I have had to remake my
entire cluster.
  If you need more clarification on the scenario before being able to
tell me what steps to take - please
  ask for the info you need.

  Anyone?

Lisa Giacchetti