[Lustre-discuss] controlling which eth interface lustre uses

Brock Palen brockp at umich.edu
Thu Oct 21 06:37:52 PDT 2010

We recently added a new oss, it has 1 1Gb interface and 1 10Gb interface,

The 10Gb interface is eth4 10.164.0.166
The 1Gb   interface is eth0 10.164.0.10

In modprobe.conf I have:

options lnet networks=tcp0(eth4)

lctl list_nids
10.164.0.166 at tcp

From a host I run:

lctl which_nid oss4
10.164.0.166 at tcp

But yet I still see traffic over eth0 the 1Gb management network, might higher than I would expect (upto 100MB/s) The management interface is oss4-gb  So If I do from a client:

lctl which_nid oss4-gb
10.164.0.10 at tcp

Why If I have netwroks=tcp0(eth4)  and that list_nids showa only the 10Gb interface, do I have so much traffic over the 1Gb interface?  There is some traffic on the 10Gb interface, but I would like to tell lustre 'don't use the 1Gb interface'.

Thanks!

Brock Palen
www.umich.edu/~brockp
Center for Advanced Computing