[Lustre-discuss] 1.8 quotas

Jason Hill hilljj at ornl.gov
Fri Oct 22 06:37:04 PDT 2010

Folks,

Not having to deal with quotas on our scratch filesystems in the past, I'm
puzzled on why we're seeing messages like the following:

Oct 22 09:29:00 widow-oss3c2 kernel: kernel: Lustre: widow3-OST00b1: slow quota init 35s due to heavy IO load

We're (I think) not doing quotas. I've ran through the 1.8 manual and it's
unclear to me how to detect if Lustre is in fact calculating quotas underneath
the covers. I'm extremely hesitant to run lfs quota check - we've only got 400T
and 30-ish million files in the filesystem currently, but there are 372 OST's
on 48 OSS nodes - and I'm concerned about the amount of time it would take as
I've heard the initial lfs quota check command can take quite a while to build
the "mapping".

So, the question is - if we see messages like "slow quota init", are quotas
being calculated in the background? And as a followup - how do we turn them
off?

Thanks,
--
-Jason
//  Jason J. Hill                              //