[Lustre-discuss] 1.8 quotas

David Dillow dillowda at ornl.gov
Fri Oct 22 12:17:39 PDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-10-22 at 22:56 +0800, Fan Yong wrote:
> On 10/22/10 9:37 PM, Jason Hill wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > Not having to deal with quotas on our scratch filesystems in the past, I'm
> > puzzled on why we're seeing messages like the following:
> >
> > Oct 22 09:29:00 widow-oss3c2 kernel: kernel: Lustre: widow3-OST00b1: slow quota init 35s due to heavy IO load
> >
> > We're (I think) not doing quotas.
[ ... ]
> > So, the question is - if we see messages like "slow quota init", are quotas
> > being calculated in the background? And as a followup - how do we turn them
> > off?

> No. I think you are misguided by the message "slow quota init 35s due to
> heavy IO load", which does not mean recalculating (initial calculating)
> quota in the background. In fact, such message is printed out before
> obdfilter write, at such point, the OST tries to acquire enough quota
> for this write operation. It will check locally whether the remaining
> quota related with the uid/gid (for this OST object) is enough or not,
> if not, the quota slave on this OST will acquire more quota from quota
> master on MDS. This process maybe take some long time on high load
> system, especially when the remaining quota on quota master (MDS) is
> also very limit. The message you saw just shows that. There is no good
> way to disable these message so long as setting quota on this uid/gid.

This is the heart of Jason's question -- he has done nothing to his
knowledge to enable quotas at all, so why is he getting a message about
quotas? Are they actually enabled on the FS, and how would he be able to
verify that?

Or does it always process quotas, even if they are not enabled?

--
Dave Dillow
National Center for Computational Science