[Lustre-discuss] OSS1 write performance impacted by OSS3 writes?!

Dan dan at nerp.net
Thu Oct 28 14:41:52 PDT 2010

Hi,

I have 4 OSSs with 4 OSTs each still running 1.6.7.2 on RHEL 4.  I stripped files across OSTs specific to each OSS to test network bandwidth.  Then wrote to each file from separate clients.  The network is currently single GigE link to each OSS/client via Cisco 4503.  Bonding 4 links to each OSS after resolving this current issue I hope.

Here's the problem.  When I start writing to OSS3 it cuts the performance of OSS1 in half and only achieves half of it's network bandwidth.  Stop writing to OSS1 and 3 gets full bandwidth or vice versa.  If I write to OSS1,2 and 4 or OSS2,3,4 all get full bandwidth.  I've checked what OSTs the files were stripped against and looked at the network config.  Further more collectl shows no cross traffic (if I had messed up file stripes).  No ideas...

What could cause this?

Thanks,

Dan

-- Sent from my Palm Pre