[Lustre-discuss] Large directory performance

Bernd Schubert bs_lists at aakef.fastmail.fm
Fri Sep 10 16:32:35 PDT 2010

On Saturday, September 11, 2010, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> On 2010-09-10, at 12:11, Michael Robbert wrote:
> > Create performance is a flat line of ~150 files/sec across the board.
> > Delete performance is all over the place, but no higher than 3,000
> > files/sec... Then yesterday I was browsing the Lustre Operations Manual
> > and found section 33.8 that says Lustre is tested with directories as
> > large as 10 million files in a single directory and still get lookups at
> > a rate of 5,000 files/sec. That leaves me wondering 2 things. How can we
> > get 5,000 files/sec for anything and why is our performance dropping off
> > so suddenly at after 20k files?
> >
> > Here is our setup:
> > All IO servers are Dell PowerEdge 2950s. 2 8-core sockets with X5355  @
> > 2.66GHz and 16Gb of RAM. The data is on DDN S2A 9550s with 8+2 RAID
> > configuration connected directly with 4Gb Fibre channel.
>
> Are you using the DDN 9550s for the MDT?  That would be a bad
> configuration, because they can only be configured with RAID-6, and would
> explain why you are seeing such bad performance.  For the MDT you always

Unfortunately, we failed to copy the scratch MDT in a reasonable time so far.
Copying several hundreds of million files turned out to take ages ;) But I
guess Mike did the benchmarks for the other filesystem with an EF3010.

> > We have as many as 1.4 million files in a single directory and we now
> > have half a billion files that we need to deal with in one way or
> > another.

Mike, is there a chance you can try which rate acp reports?

http://oss.oracle.com/~mason/acp/

Also could you please send me your exact bonnie line or script? We could try
to reproduce it on and idle test 9550 with a 6620 for metada (the 6620 is
slower for that than the ef3010).

Thanks,
Bernd

--