[Lustre-discuss] Multi-Role/Tasking MDS/OSS Hosts

Andreas Dilger andreas.dilger at oracle.com
Fri Sep 17 12:32:20 PDT 2010

On 2010-09-17, at 12:42, Jonathan B. Horen wrote:
> We're trying to architect a Lustre setup for our group, and want to leverage our available resources. In doing so, we've come to consider multi-purposing several hosts, so that they'll function simultaneously as MDS & OSS.

You can't do this and expect recovery to work in a robust manner.  The reason is that the MDS is a client of the OSS, and if they are both on the same node that crashes, the OSS will wait for the MDS "client" to reconnect and will time out recovery of the real clients.

Lustre Technical Lead
Oracle Corporation Canada Inc.