[Lustre-discuss] kernel: BUG: soft lockup - CPU stuck for 10s! with lustre 1.8.4

Fan Yong yong.fan at whamcloud.com
Mon Sep 20 02:49:42 PDT 2010

  On 9/20/10 5:36 PM, Temple Jason wrote:
> It appears that turning off statahead does indeed avoid the soft lockup bug.  But this seems to me to be a workaround, and not a solution.
>
> Is statahead not useful for performance gains?  I am not comfortable making my user's jobs waste more cpu time because I have to implement a workaround instead of a fix.
>
> Is there one in the works?  Nasf - does your patch solve the bug, or does it just disable statahead by default?
Statahead is used for optimizing the performance of traversing large
directory in Lustre. My patch is not to disable statahead, but try to
fix the soft lockup issues, and also contains some other fixes to
improve the system stability and performance a bit. I think it is worth
for you to try such patch.

Cheers,
Nasf