[Lustre-discuss] Lustre 1.8.4 with new kernel 2.6.18-194.11.4

Jason Hill hilljj at ornl.gov
Tue Sep 21 12:41:47 PDT 2010

Brian,

While I agree with the question - some of us have user facing machines that
we've chosen to use the patched lustre kernel on for clients -- we see a
50-300MB/s bump from using a patched client. Those machines are user facing and
while we've put in a workaround, having a patched client + kernel that does not
require the workaround is something we'd like to get to. So while I don't think
most of the coummunity would have user accounts on their lustre servers - the
packages provided by Oracle are not solely used for server purposes.

Yes, we could undertake building kernels ourselves. We're working on an effort
to do so - so don't take this as me adding to the list of people who would like
this done "real soon now", just another point of view.

Thanks,
--
-Jason
//  Jason J. Hill                              //