[Lustre-discuss] software RAID1 in RHEL5

Adesanya, Adeyemi yemi at slac.stanford.edu
Fri Apr 22 12:45:32 PDT 2011

I'm discussing the proposed architecture for two new Lustre 1.8.x filesystems. We plan to use a failover pair of MDS nodes (active-active), with each MDS serving an MDT.  The MDTs will be housed in external storage but we would like to implement redundancy across more than one storage array by using software RAID1.

The Lustre documentation mentions using linux md to set up software RAID1 or RAID10 for MDTs. Does the RAID1 implementation in the Lustre 1.8.x RHEL5 kernel do an adequate job of ensuring consistency across mirrored devices (compared to a hardware RAID1 implementation)?

-------
Yemi