[Lustre-discuss] __may_alias__ caused compilation error

Jay Lan jay.zen.lan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 11:33:53 PDT 2011

Hi,

My compilation of lustre failed on error:
/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/lustre-1.8.6/lustre/include/lustre/lustre_user.h(190):
error #1292: attribute "__may_alias__" ignored
 } __attribute__((packed,  __may_alias__));

My gcc version is:
bash-3.2# rpm -qa |grep gcc
gcc-4.1.2-46.el5
libgcc-4.1.2-46.el5
bash-3.2#

I did not encounter this problem until I turned on mpitest in
configuration.

Since the attibute still in upstream code, I assume it was my problem.
I recalled I simply removed that attribute when I built 1.8.5, but I like
to hear what is the right way to solve this compilation error.

Thanks,
Jay