[Lustre-discuss] Swap over lustre

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Wed Aug 17 19:57:40 PDT 2011

On 08/17/2011 10:43 PM, John Hanks wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to get swap on lustre to work with not much success
> using blockdev_attach and the resulting lloop0 device and using
> losetup and the resulting loop device. This thread
> (http://www.mail-archive.com/lustre-discuss@lists.lustre.org/msg00856.html)
> claims that it works, but in all my attempts almost as soon as swap is
> used (testing with memhog), the host hangs. In some cases it hangs
> hard, but on occasion if I'm patient enough the OOM will eventually
> kill something and the node will become responsive again. If I
> carefully increase memory with each successive memhog run I can get
> some pages to swap, but any real pressure always results in a hang.
> I'm attempting this on Redhat EL 5.6 with lustre 1.8.4 patchless
> client over IB.

As a rule of thumb, you should try to keep the path to swap as simple as
possible.  No memory/buffer allocations on the way to a paging event if
you can possibly do this.

The lustre client (and most NFS or even network block devices) all do
memory allocation of buffers ... which is anathema to migrating pages
out to disk.  You can easily wind up in a "death spiral" race condition
(and it sounds like you are there).  You might be able to do something
with iSCSI or SRP (though these also do block allocations and could
trigger death spirals).  If you can limit the number of buffers they
allocate, and then force them to allocate the buffers at startup (by
forcing some activity to the block device, and then pin this memory so
that they can't be ejected ...) you might have chance to do it as a
block device.  I think SRP can do this, not sure if iSCSI initiators can
pin buffers in ram.

You might look at the swapz patches (we haven't integrated them into our
kernel yet, but have been looking at it) to compress swap pages and
store them ... in ram.  This may not work for you, but it could be an
option.

Is there any particular reason you can't use a local drive for this
(such as you don't have local drives, or they aren't big/fast enough)?

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com