[Lustre-discuss] Lustre, LVM and varying disk sizes

Andrus, Brian Contractor bdandrus at nps.edu
Wed Dec 28 15:10:03 PST 2011

All,

We have been running lustre for some time now with general success.
One thing that has come along that I am curious about is different disk sizes.

In our setup, we have an LVM which uses various hardware raid LUNs. Originally, they were all 8TB ext3 (for backing filesystem) because they were in an 8+2 raid using 1TB drives.
Along came 2TB drives and now 3TB drives.

So, as we grow our lustre filesystem, is it better to keep all the OSTs at 8TB, even if the raid is now 16 and 21TB, or is it better to use the entire raid allotment?
Which would then beg the question: can I mix ext3 and ext4 for backing file sytem with no ill effects?

Any input is greatly appreciated,

Brian Andrus
ITACS/Research Computing
Naval Postgraduate School