[Lustre-discuss] Problem on OST data recovery

thhsieh thhsieh at piano.rcas.sinica.edu.tw
Thu Jan 13 00:41:42 PST 2011

Dear All,

I am wondering whether it is possible to recover the OST data ?

We have faced the following problem. We installed a new OST server
which is intended to replace an old one. We do the following steps
to migrate the data from old OST to new OST:

1. Figure out the files which located in old OST server:

   lfs find --obd {OST_UUID} /mount/point > list

2. For each file in the list, we do the following migration:

	cp -a ..../file ..../file.tmp
	mv ..../file.tmp ..../file

However, after doing this data transfer for a few days, we suddently
found that the hardware of the new OST is failed, and all the data
migrated on it may not be recovered.

Therefore, I am wondering that whether it is possible to recover
data from the old OST server ? This may sounds quit impossible, but
we would like to try if there is any possibility to do that.

Our Lustre version is 1.8.3.

Thanks very much for your attention in advance.

Cheers,

T.H.Hsieh