[Lustre-discuss] Lustre community build server

Nathan Rutman nrutman at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 12:31:06 PST 2011

Hi Aurelien, Robert  -

We also use Hudson and are interested in using it to do Lustre builds and testing.
> Hi
>
> Robert Read a écrit :
> > Hi Aurélien,
> >
> > Yes, we've noticed Hudson's support for testing is not quite what we need, so
> > we're planning to use Hudson to trigger our testing system, but not
> > necessarily to manage it.  We'd definitely be interested in learning more
> > about your experiences, though.
> >
> I do not know what you mean by triggering your testing system. But here
> is what I set up.
> Hudson has only 1 slave node dedicated to testing Lustre 2.
> Hudson will launch a shell script through ssh to it.
>
> This script:
>  - retrieves Lustre source (managed by Hudson git plugin)
>  - compiles it.
>  - launches acceptance-small with several parameters.
>  - acceptance-small will connect to other nodes dedicated for these tests.
>
> acc-sm have been patched:
> - to be more error resilient (does not stop at first failure)
> - to generate a test report in JUNIT format.
Is this the yaml acc-sm that Robert was talking about, or an older one?

> Hudson fetch the junit report and parse it thanks to its plugin.
> Hudson can display in its interface all tests successes and failures.
>
> Everything goes fine as long as:
>  - the testsuite leaves the node in a good shape. It is difficult to
> have a automatic way to put the node back. Currently, we need to manualy
> fix that.
Would it be helpful to run the test in a VM?  Hudson has a libvirt-slave plugin that
seems like it can start and stop a VM for you.  Another point I like about VM's is
that they can be suspended and shipped to an investigator for local debugging.

>  - Hudson does not know about the other nodes used by acc-sm. And so can
> trigger tests even if some sattelites nodes are unavailable.
Don't know if libvirt-slave can handle multiple
VM's for a multi-node Lustre test, but maybe it can be extended.

> How is you do this on your side?
It seems that like you, we are more interested in reporting the results
within Hudson as opposed to a different custom tool.

Nathan