[Lustre-discuss] request for data

Brian J. Murrell brian at whamcloud.com
Fri Jul 8 06:06:45 PDT 2011

Hi folks,

I am trying to assess just how chatty Lustre installations can be with
logging on systems "in the wild".

I have attached a small bash script which when run against the text file
you have your Lustre logs going to (i.e. typically via syslog) counts
the number of log entries[1], the average number of entries per second
over the time period the log covers and a peak number of records for any
given second.  It's output would be similar to:

26402 log entries over an elapsed time period of 4936 seconds with a
peak of 152 records per second and an overall average of 5 records per
second
processed 26402 log entries in 77 seconds at a rate of 342 records per
second

It can be invoked with simply:

# lograte < /var/log/syslog

Where you can replace /var/log/syslog with whichever file your Lustre
logs are going to.

If you could run the script (it won't be fast and won't be terribly
efficient but I wanted to make it as portable and independent of any
scripting tools less common than the bourne shell) on one or more of
your logs, paste the output and tell me how many OSSes (in the case of
centralized logging) and OSTs each output is for, that would be great.

Cheers, and many thanks,
b.

[1] I do realize that there will be more than just Lustre in those files
but it's general logging rates I am looking for, not just the Lustre
specific messages

--
Brian J. Murrell
Senior Software Engineer