[Lustre-discuss] Client Eviction Preceded by EHOSTUNREACH and then ENOTCONN?

Rick Wagner rpwagner at sdsc.edu
Tue Jul 12 11:06:40 PDT 2011

On Jul 12, 2011, at 11:01 AM, Isaac Huang wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 03:39:34PM -0700, Rick Wagner wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I am assuming that -113 is EHOSTUNREACH and -107 is ENOTCONN, and that the error codes from errno.h are being used.
>>
>> We've been experiencing similar problems for a while, and we've never seen IP traffic have a problem. But, clients will begin to have trouble communicating with the Lustre server (seen because an LNET ping will return an I/O error), and things will only recover when an LNET ping is performed from the server to the client NID.
>
> I'd suggest to enable console logging of network errors, by 'echo
> +neterror > /proc/sys/lnet/printk'. Then some detailed debug messages
> should show up in 'dmesg' when you have LNET connectivity problems.

Thanks, Isaac, I have put that in place. We have that in the sysctl configuration, as part of lnet.debug, and thought that was sufficient. But so far, dmesg and /var/log/messages have looked very similar.

[root at lustre-oss-0-2 ~]# cat /proc/sys/lnet/printk
warning error emerg console
[root at lustre-oss-0-2 ~]# sysctl -a | grep neterr
lnet.debug = ioctl neterror net warning error emerg ha config console

--Rick