[Lustre-discuss] Packaged kerberized VM client image Re: Migrating virtual machines over Lustre using Proxmox

Josephine Palencia josephin at psc.edu
Thu Jul 14 11:02:47 PDT 2011

Hi Paul,

I wanted to signify our interest in your project as we have
something similar and related.

As part of the OSG ExTENCI project, we've set up a kerberized lustre
fs that uses virtual (VM) lustre clients in remote sites. With proper
network tuning/route analysis, we observe that it is possible to
saturate the full IO bandwidth even for remote VM lustre clients
and obtain good IO rates.

So far, we've made available kerberized XEN VM lustre image
(ftp://ftp.psc.edu/pub/jwan/Lustre-2.1/2.0.62/vm-images/) that
ExTENCI Tier3 remote sites can download and just boot up after
being given the proper kerberos principals.

We will also provide the kerberized images for KVM (Proxmox)
and VMware.

Currently, we use Lustre 2.1 (2.0.62) with 2.0.63 for clients.
PSC locally runs the same set up on a separate kerberos realm.

We invite collaboration with other parties who might be
interested in trying packaged kerberized lustre VM  clients
at their  sites.

Regards,
josephine