[Lustre-discuss] lustre from source EXTRAVERSION

Michael Di Domenico mdidomenico4 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 14:30:33 PDT 2011

I'm trying to rebuild the RHEL kernel with the lustre patches, most
everything has gone okay one time through so far, but i ran into an
issue when trying to get OFED to compile against the new code

According to the Whamcloud wiki I am to perform this step

Add a unique build id so we can be certain our kernel is booted. Edit
~build/kernel/rpmbuild/BUILD/kernel-2.6.18/linux-2.6.18.x86_64/Makefile
and modify line 4, the EXTRAVERSION to read:
EXTRAVERSION = -lustre18

And then further down, this one

Go into the kernel source directory and issue the following commands
to build a kernel rpm.
cd /build/kernel/rpmbuild/BUILD/kernel-2.6.18/linux-2.6.18.x86_64
make oldconfig || make menuconfig
make include/asm
make include/linux/version.h
make SUBDIRS=scripts
make include/linux/utsrelease.h
make rpm

Two questions:

1.  No matter what i do, i cannot get the kernel version to come out
as 2.6.18-238.el5.lustre185

I can't seem to get EXTRAVERSION to take dashes, I end up with
2.6.18238.el5.lustre185 or given the example above 2.6.18lustre18, is
there a fix for this?

2.  The resulting rpm does not include an initrd file.  I can
certainly create one on my own, but is there a parameter or step that
will allow 'make rpm' to do that for me and include it in the rpm?

thanks