[Lustre-discuss] Problem with lustre 2.0.0.1, ext3/4 and big OSTs (>8Tb)

Joan J. Piles jpiles at unizar.es
Tue Mar 15 08:02:36 PDT 2011

Hi,

We are trying to set up a lustre 2.0.0.1 (the most recent one
downladable from the offiecial site) installation. We plan to have some
big OSTs (~ 12Tb), using ScientificLinux 5.5 (which should be a RHEL
clone for all purposes).

However, when we try to format the OSTs, we get the following error:

> [root at oss01 ~]# mkfs.lustre --ost --fsname=extra
> --mgsnode=172.16.4.4 at tcp0 --mkfsoptions '-i 262144 -E
> stride=32,stripe_width=192 ' /dev/sde
>
>    Permanent disk data:
> Target:     extra-OSTffff
> Index:      unassigned
> Lustre FS:  extra
> Mount type: ldiskfs
> Flags:      0x72
>               (OST needs_index first_time update )
> Persistent mount opts: errors=remount-ro,extents,mballoc
> Parameters: mgsnode=172.16.4.4 at tcp
>
> checking for existing Lustre data: not found
> device size = 11427830MB
> formatting backing filesystem ldiskfs on /dev/sde
>     target name  extra-OSTffff
>     4k blocks     2925524480
>     options       -i 262144 -E stride=32,stripe_width=192  -J size=400
> -I 256 -q -O dir_index,extents,uninit_bg -F
> mkfs_cmd = mke2fs -j -b 4096 -L extra-OSTffff -i 262144 -E
> stride=32,stripe_width=192  -J size=400 -I 256 -q -O
> dir_index,extents,uninit_bg -F /dev/sde 2925524480
> mkfs.lustre: Unable to mount /dev/sde: Invalid argument
>
> mkfs.lustre FATAL: failed to write local files
> mkfs.lustre: exiting with 22 (Invalid argument)

In the dmesg log, we find the following line:

> LDISKFS-fs does not support filesystems greater than 8TB and can cause
> data corruption.Use "force_over_8tb" mount option to override.

After some investigation, we find it is related to the use of ext3
instead of ext4, even though we should be using ext4, proven by the fact
that the file systems created are actually ext4:

> [root at oss01 ~]# file -s /dev/sde
> /dev/sde: Linux rev 1.0 ext4 filesystem data (extents) (large files)

Further, we made a test with an ext3 filesystem in the same machine, and
the difference is found:

> [root at oss01 ~]# file -s /dev/sda1
> /dev/sda1: Linux rev 1.0 ext3 filesystem data (large files)

Everything we found in the net about this problem seems to refer to
lustre 1.8.5. However, we would not expect such a regression in lustre
2. Is this actually a problem with lustre 2? Has ext4 to be enabled
either at compile time or with a parameter somewhere (we found no
documentation about it)?

Greetings and thanks,

Joan Josep Piles Contreras -  Analista de sistemas
I3A - Instituto de Investigación en Ingeniería de Aragón
Tel: 976 76 10 00 (ext. 5454)
http://i3a.unizar.es -- jpiles at unizar.es