[Lustre-discuss] Lustre 2.0 client cache size

DEGREMONT Aurelien aurelien.degremont at cea.fr
Thu Mar 17 05:37:12 PDT 2011

Hello

I'm trying to control the amount of cache memory used by Lustre clients
with Lustre 2.0
There is a /proc tuning called "max_cache_mb" in llite which is
documented in Lustre manual.
Unfortunately, after testing it and checking the source code it seems
this variable is present but it not used anymore in Lustre code.
This is not the case in 1.8

I did not find if this was removed or this was partially included in
Lustre 2.0.
What's the current status of this and how can I tell to my client to
avoid caching too many data?
Those clients do a lot of read and write in Lustre filesystems but
thoses files will not be re-read soon, so it is useless to fill memory
with it. Moreover, when the client memory is full, Lustre performance
are really impacted.

Thanks in advance

Aurélien Degrémont