[Lustre-discuss] Multiple IB ports

Andreas Dilger adilger at whamcloud.com
Mon Mar 21 04:37:46 PDT 2011

On 2011-03-21, at 10:18 AM, Sebastien Piechurski wrote:
> From my understanding, but confirmation from more skilled people on the list would be welcomed, using multiple IB ports with a lustre client will be difficult to manage, and will probably not bring any performance improvements.
> I was told by a colleague that there were currently too many internal locks in the clients to sustain a big throughput. Lustre is designed for global throughput on many clients, but not on individual clients.
> I can observe this on my site, where I have enough storage and servers to reach 21GB/s globally, but am unable to get more than 300MB/s on a single client even though the DDR IB network would sustain +800MB/s ...

There must be something wrong with your configuration or the code has some bug, because we have had single clients doing 2GB/s in the past.  What version of Lustre did you test on?

Is this a single-threaded write?  With single-threaded IO the bottleneck often happens in the kernel copy_{to,from}_user() that is copying data to/from userspace in order to do data caching in the client.  Having multiple threads doing the IO allows multiple cores to do the data copying.

Is the lustre debugging disabled?  "lctl set_param debug=0" if this helps.

Is the Lustre network checksum disabled?  "lctl set_param osc.*.checksums=0"  There is a patch to allow hardware-assisted checksums, but it needs some debugging before it can be landed into the production release.