[Lustre-discuss] software raid

Lundgren, Andrew Andrew.Lundgren at Level3.com
Mon Mar 28 13:43:08 PDT 2011

I have done both SW and HW raid across with OSTs and MDTs.

As part of your choice, look into what happens when you have to replace a failed disk in a sw configuration.  My negatives for sw raid are all management at this point.

When you pull a bad disk out of a linux box (/dev/sde for example) and insert a new disk, the new disk will not always come back as sde, it will come back at first available device letter.  When you reconfigure your partitions and add it back into your array, you will have to remember that you need to tweak the partitions on the new drive letter.  When you reboot, your device letters will sort themselves back out and that new disk will again go back to sde, if that is the placement on the controller. If your machine has been up for a long time with a few failed disks, you may have multiple holes in your dev lettering.  Not a big deal for one or two, but when you have hundred of machines, you will probably have an ops team that does the work, not you.

When you reboot a machine that has a failed disk in the array (degraded), the array will not start by default in a degraded state.  If you have LVMs on top of your raid arrays, they will also not start.  You will need to log into the machine, manually force start the array in a degraded state and then manually start the LVM on top of the SW raid array.

By default, grub does not install on multiple disks.  Assuming you also raid your boot disks, you will need to manually put your boot loader on the front of each bootable disk.

Some controllers have a memory of which disks are inserted into which slots. They will not present disks beyond a certain number to the BIOS for booting.  If you boot replace the boot disks too many times, they will no longer present a bootable disk to the BIOS.  The only way to correct this for the controller I have worked with is to pull all but one non-bootable disk, then boot into the controller firmware and clear the device memory, then reconnect all of the disks. (We only discovered this issue in the lab, and haven't seen it yet in production.)

In my experience, maintenance for linux sw raid is significantly more difficult than hw raid.

-----Original Message-----
From: lustre-discuss-bounces at lists.lustre.org [mailto:lustre-discuss-bounces at lists.lustre.org] On Behalf Of Brian O'Connor
Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 8:55 PM
To: lustre-discuss at lists.lustre.org
Subject: [Lustre-discuss] software raid

This has probably been asked and answered.

Is software raid(md) still considered bad practice?

I would like to use ssd drives for an mdt, but using fast ssd drives
behind a raid controller seems to defeat the purpose.

There was some thought that the decision not to support
software raid was mostly about Sun/Oracle trying to sell hardware
raid.

thoughts?

--
Brian O'Connor