[Lustre-discuss] software raid

Ms. Megan Larko dobsonunit at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 17:07:43 PDT 2011

Hi,

Just as a clarification/update, I have done both software and hardware
raid.   The issue with the device not coming back as the same drive
letter or position was mitigated by using the LABEL=disk5 (or whatever
string) so that the mounts are placed into position by label.   Newer
versions of software raid use the physical drive serial number (s/n)
or other unique identifying number obtained from the hardware itself.
For example root=UUID=21c81788-30ea-4e5d-ad9b-a00a0be5ce7e"    I have
had hardware raid cards early on that were not capable of this
behavior.   Now the choice is entirely up to the administrator/user as
to preference.

Cheers!
megan