[Lustre-discuss] Optimal stratgy for OST distribution

Ashley Pittman apittman at ddn.com
Thu Mar 31 08:24:22 PDT 2011

On 31 Mar 2011, at 15:06, Heckes, Frank wrote:
> -a- Assign OST via round-robin to the OSS
> -b- Assign in consecutive order (as long as the backend storage provides
>    enought capacity for iops and bandwidth)

At DDN our default config is -b- although we have done -a- at customers request.  I don't believe it makes a huge difference whichever way, because of the dual controllers and dual links in a DDN system we alternate luns over controllers (and hence IB ports), we do this rather than alternating OSTS as it's a lot easier to visually verify that -b- is correct than -a-.  At least one DDN reseller does it the other way however.

Ashley.