[Lustre-discuss] Poor metadata operation performance

Andreas Dilger adilger at whamcloud.com
Fri May 20 12:06:34 PDT 2011

It would be interesting to find out what is causing the bottleneck. At one time there was no throttle on the number of RPCs that the MDS could send, which caused overload problems on the OSTs.

Now, the MDS is limited by the normal rpcs_in_flight tunable (=8) that clients are limited to. It would be worthwhile to see if increasing this helped the overall performance? If yes, then it would make sense to tune the OSCs on the MDS for more RPCs by default.

Cheers, Andreas