[Lustre-discuss] OST size limitation

Kevin Van Maren KVanMaren at fusionio.com
Wed Nov 2 13:09:28 PDT 2011

On Nov 2, 2011, at 1:48 PM, Charland, Denis wrote:

I read in the Lustre Operations Manual that there is an OST size limitation of 16 TB on RHEL and
8 TB on other distributions because of the ext3 file system limitation. I have a few questions about that.

Why is the limitation 16 TB on RHEL?

16TB is the maximum size RedHat supports.  See http://www.redhat.com/rhel/compare/
Larger than that requires bigger changes.

Note that whamcloud's 1.8.6-wc1 claimed support for 24TB LUNs (but see http://jira.whamcloud.com/browse/LU-419 ).

Whamcloud's Lustre 2.1 (not sure you'd want to use it) claims support for 128TB LUNs.

I plan to use Lustre 1.8.5 on Fedora 12 for a new Lustre file system. What will be the OST size limitation?

What is the OST size limitation when using ext4?

16TB with the Lustre-patched RHEL kernel.

Is it preferable to use ext4 instead of ext3?

If the block device has more than 8 TB or 16 TB, it must be partitioned. Is there a performance degradation
when a device has multiple partitions compared to a single partition? In other words, is it better to have three
8 TB devices with one partition per device than to have one 24 TB device with three partitions?

Better to have 3 separate 8TB LUNs.  Different OSTs forcing the same drive heads to move to opposite parts of the disk does degrade performance (with a single OST moving the drive heads, the block allocator tries to minimize movement).

Denis Charland
UNIX Systems Administrator
National Research Council Canada

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, its contents and any attachments to it are confidential to the intended recipient, and may contain information that is privileged and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately notify the sender and destroy the original e-mail message and any attachments (and any copies that may have been made) from your system or otherwise. Any unauthorized use, copying, disclosure or distribution of this information is strictly prohibited.