[Lustre-discuss] Unable to write to the Lustre File System as any user except root

Barberi, Carl E carl.e.barberi at lmco.com
Tue Oct 11 12:07:57 PDT 2011

I have a File Server set up running Lustre 2.1.  I have one MDS and 3 OSS with Infiniband interconnect.  The MDS and 3 OSS mount fine and I am able to mount a client.  If I perform any basic operation (such as "ll", "cp", "mv", etc.) as root, it appears to work.  However, when I run as any other user, I get the following error in my syslog:

" LustreError: 11-0: an error occurred while communicating with 192.168.10.2 at o2ib<mailto:192.168.10.2 at o2ib>.  The mds_getxattr operation failed with -13."

It tells me that I don't have permission to read from or write to the file system.  Why am I seeing this?

Thank you,
Carl