[Lustre-discuss] Removing OSTs and OSS

Deon Borman deon at blackginger.tv
Mon Sep 5 09:21:35 PDT 2011

Hi,

I have some ageing hardware I'd like to remove. This includes the OSS
and the OSTs connected to it.

So, as far as I understand, I need to deactivate the OSTs on the MDS
with `lctl --device <devno> deactivate`, copy out all the objects from
the deactivated OST with lfs_migrate and finally, permanently deactivate
the OSTs on all the clients and MDS with `lctl conf_param <OST
name>.osc.active=0`. Am I missing something, or is that it?

Now for my real question: Once everything copied out, I'd like to
permanently switch off and re-purpose the hardware. Do I need to do
anything else, other than unmounting the OSTs and shutting down the OSS?
As far as I can tell, the MDS still knows about the this OSS and OSTs,
but will not try to use it. So will the removed OSS cause possible
issues in future? If so, how do I fix it. With a --writeconf on MDS/OSS?

All this will happen on a Lustre 1.8.5 system.

Thanks in advance,
Deon