[Lustre-discuss] change netmask on MDS/OSS without downtime?

Craig Prescott prescott at hpc.ufl.edu
Mon Sep 5 17:00:49 PDT 2011

We are planning to add additional OSS nodes to one of our filesystems
running Lustre 1.8.5.  The Lustre servers all offer o2ib and tcp (IPoIB)
NIDs - our local IB clients use the o2ib NIDs, and some remote clients
access the filesystem using the tcp NIDs via an ethernet-to-IB gateway.
  The networks used by the tcp clients are routed.

We want to reconfigure our networks in a way that would impact the IPoIB
networks on our Lustre servers.  We want to change network base
addresses, netmasks, and broadcast addresses.  But we don't intend to
change IP addresses (or NIDs) of the servers themselves.

Question is this - can we just do this live without unmounting either
the clients or affected OSTs, thus avoiding a planned
maintenance/outage?  I think we can, but LNET has surprised me before.

If we need to announce an outage for this, we will - but we only want to
do that if it is actually necessary.

Thanks,
Craig Prescott
UF HPC Center