[Lustre-discuss] [wc-discuss] Re: Lustre and cross-platform portability

tao.peng at emc.com tao.peng at emc.com
Fri Apr 27 03:15:38 PDT 2012

Hi Andreas,

But we do need to remove them before submitting to kernel, right? And if we enforce checkpatch.pl on every patch applied, IMHO there is not much benefit to have syntax rules on every file, not to mention that it is explicitly forbidden in kernel coding style (Documentation/CodingStyle, Chapter 18:  Editor modelines and other cruft).

BTW, instead of just enabling tabs, how about changing checkpatch.pl to latest kernel version to make sure all future patches follow kernel coding styles?

> > 3. Lustre uses a slightly different comment style, which need to be changed to kernel style
>
> This is DOxygen style formatting.  I had forgotten about this. We had in the past used this inline
> formatting for producing some documentation, but I'd need to ask about whether there is still a need
> for this today. In the meantime, please leave the comment style as-is.

OK.

> > I created LU-1347 (http://jira.whamcloud.com/browse/LU-1347) to track the coding style changes.
> >
> >> There is some hope that the kernel maintainers will not require
> >> all of the Lustre macros to be removed, but we can deal with this
> >> on a case-by-case basis.
> >>
> > IMO, we can divide macros to three groups (or more?):
> > 1. Old kernel support macros, kernel maintainers are clear that they won't accept it.
>
> Yes, but we need to maintain this in the external Lustre tree for years after Lustre would be accepted
> into mainline, since it would not be in vendor kernels (which a majority of Lustre users would be
> using).
>
> For such compat macros we need to make an effort to keep the upstream code as close as possible to the
> external tree, so patches have the most chance of applying.

I agree. We should minimize maintenance effort for it. And as you suggested, we can put as many of these compat macros into places like linux_compat.h as possible and have Lustre code use latest kernel APIs, so that most maintenance effort for old kernel support would be to keep linux_compat.h uptodate. For compact macros that cannot be cleaned up this way, we will have to pay the extra efforts. And of course the cleanup will be an incremental process and macros will be dealt with in a case-by-case basis.

> > 2. For macros to mark out server code, kernel maintainers can accept it. But I think we need to make
> sure we don't do it too intrusive.
>
> Sure, and we also need to make sure the ongoing maintenance effort to keep the code working is not too
> much either.
>
> I'm OK with incremental patches that more cleanly split the client and server code (structures,
> headers, etc) if that improves the code structure and readability.

I agree that we can do some incremental patches to split client and server code. But I hope we only do it when it is trivial and simple. IMHO if we want to entirely split client/server code, it will be large code structure change. Since kernel maintainers already agreed on HAVE_SERVER_SUPPORT, how about we keep going that way at first? And we can make some split wherever it is simple and clear. And we will try to make code structure as clear/readable as possible. Then when we summit code for review, if kernel maintainers still don't like it, we do the large restructuring. Does it make sense?

> > 3. Lustre feature macros, we can convert them to Kconfig macros.
>
> Sure. Note that some of them may be obsolete, so before you spend too much time cleaning them up,
> please post a list to Jira. Maybe some of them can be dropped entirely.

Thanks. I will do as you suggested when it comes to converting them to Kconfig macros.

Cheers,
Tao