[Lustre-discuss] Interoperable issues between 1.8.6 and 2.1

Andreas Dilger adilger at whamcloud.com
Fri Aug 24 01:51:27 PDT 2012

On 2012-08-23, at 7:45 AM, chas williams - CONTRACTOR wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 21:00:17 -0400
> Ken Hornstein <kenh at cmf.nrl.navy.mil> wrote:
>
>>> I am not finding where it says explicitly that a lustre client running
>>> 1.8 will successfully be able to read and write to a set of lustre
>>> servers running lustre 2.1. are there any known issues?
>>
>> I forget where that was written down; I can report that it works fine.
>> WITH THE EXCEPTION of ia64 1.8-based clients; that totally doesn't work.
>
> when i looked at this briefly i believe the problem was that the ia64
> was fetching a page size (16k for the ia64) from the MDS.  the 2.x
> MDS replies with a 4k page and the ia64 client thinks this a short
> read.  this wouldnt be hard to fix for the ia64 but didnt seem like it
> was worth the trouble.

I think this was already fixed with change http://review.whamcloud.com/3014 (commit 5318af0793cf4d6b824d39e38225b9153ce0073b), though AFAIK the patch was only landed for the upcoming 2.3.0.  I didn't know anyone still used ia64 machines :-).

Andreas Dilger                       Whamcloud, Inc.
Principal Lustre Engineer            http://www.whamcloud.com/