[Lustre-discuss] Applications of Lustre - streaming?

Jason Brooks brookjas at ohsu.edu
Fri Dec 7 09:50:11 PST 2012

It is the question of how to handle redundancy that stops me from
immediately testing this idea of mine.  Well, that and time, werewithal,
etc...

Hadoop is great because it uses the speed and latency of local disks to
work with data, and does not require systems be homogeneous.  With the
data replicated, it not only has the storage redundancy, but also x-1
hosts that can work with the data if a host goes down.

The down side appears to be that hadoop can't really handle many nodes
going down ungracefully.  My personal goal with my idea is to make a host
a "dumb compute node" that I can shutdown with impunity.