[Lustre-discuss] killing lfs_migrate

Brock Palen brockp at umich.edu
Mon Feb 27 11:52:29 PST 2012

On Feb 27, 2012, at 2:49 PM, Ashley Pittman wrote:

> On 27 Feb 2012, at 19:30, Brock Palen wrote:
>
>> I will have a limited window to migrate files to a new OST. I would like to get as far as I can in the window I have.
>>
>> Is it safe to kill lfs_migrate while it is still running?
>>
>> If so will it leave any 'partial copies' around?
>
> The script will be limited by client bandwidth, if possible you could run multiple instances, each working on a different part of the tree you want copied.

Noted and planned on doing that,

> I'd also consider mounting the FS as a client on the server which hosts the OST and running it there.

Wasn't making a server also a client considered bad juju ?  Memory pressure things and panics and other badness.   This would be nice because the OSS's have the biggest network pipes in our setup.   BTW I am moving old files from old OST's to new OST's to balance them back out.  in usage and in age distribution.