[Lustre-discuss] MDS failover: SSD+DRDB or shared 15K-SAS-Storage RAID with approx. 10 disks

Michael Kluge Michael.Kluge at tu-dresden.de
Sun Jan 22 11:55:51 PST 2012

Hi Carlos,

> In my experience SSDs didn't help much, since the MDS bottleneck is not
> only a disk problem rather than the entire lustre metadata mechanism.

Yes, but one does not need much space on the MDS and four SSDs (as MDT)
are way cheaper than a RAID controller with 10 15K disks. So the
question is basically how the DRDB latency will influence the MDT
performance. I know sync/async makes a big difference here, but I have
no idea about the performance impact of both or how the reliability is
influenced.

> One remark about DRDB: I've seen customers using it, but IMHO, if
> Active/standby HA type configuration would be more reliable and will
> provide you a better resilience. Again, don't know about your uptime and
> reliability needs, but the customers I've worked with that requires
> minimum downtime on production, always go for RAID controllers rather than
> DRDB replication.

OK, thanks. That is a good information. So SSD+DRDB are considered to be
the "cheap" solution. Even for small clusters?

Regards, Michael

e-mail: michael.kluge at tu-dresden.de
WWW:    http://www.tu-dresden.de/zih