[Lustre-discuss] wrong free inode count on the client side with 1.8.7

Michael Kluge Michael.Kluge at tu-dresden.de
Tue Jun 19 23:33:22 PDT 2012

Hi list,

the number of free inodes seems to be reported wrongly on the client side. If I create files, the number of free inodes does not change. If I delete the files, the number of free inodes increases. So, from a client perspective, if I repeat to create and remove files, I can have more and more free inodes. I tried to find a bug for this in Whamcloud's database but could not find one. 'df -i' for the mdt on the MDS looks OK.

I think behaviour is depicted here:
http://lists.lustre.org/pipermail/lustre-discuss/2011-July/015789.html

Right now I don't think this is a big problem. Can this turn into a real problem? Like when the number of free inodes as seen by the client exceeds 2^64 or  whatever is the limit there?

Michael

--

Dr.-Ing. Michael Kluge

Technische Universität Dresden