[Lustre-discuss] Could "Client & MGS" or "Client & OSS" running at one node together?

Carlos Thomaz cthomaz at ddn.com
Tue Mar 6 13:15:47 PST 2012

Zheng

it's VERY unusual.
Usually the MGS and MDS are deployed in the same server or same HA Pair.
Leave the OSS servers alone as well the clients.

Honestly I've never seen this before, but remember that you have to have the MGS up and running before even start configuring or bringing up the MDS and OSSs. If for some reasons you have to reboot, let's say a client where the MGS is, you may get into all sort of problems. Again, this is very odd and won't buy you anything.

Why don't you just install the MGS and MDS in the same server/HA pair? It's a straight forward configuration and will help you manage your environment better.

Rgds,
Carlos.

--
Carlos Thomaz | HPC Systems Architect
Mobile: +1 (303) 519-0578

DataDirect Networks, Inc.
9960 Federal Dr., Ste 100 Colorado Springs, CO 80921
ddn.com<http://www.ddn.com/> | Twitter: @ddn_limitless<http://twitter.com/ddn_limitless> | 1.800.TERABYTE