[Lustre-discuss] un-even distribution of data over OSTs

Andreas Dilger adilger at whamcloud.com
Wed Mar 7 12:43:17 PST 2012

On 2012-03-08, at 0:33, Roland Laifer <roland.laifer at kit.edu> wrote:
> I recently had a similar problem: Very bad OST space occupation but I could not
> find a corresponding very large file.
>
> Finally I found a process with parent 1 that was still appending data to a
> file which was already deleted by the user, i.e. this was the reason why
> I could not find a corresponding large file with "find".

It is possible to find open-unlinked files on the clients by using "lsof | grep deleted", since deleted files get " (deleted)" added at the end.

Sometimes this is normal, for temp files that should be unlinked when the process exits, but usually not.

These files can be accessed via /proc/{PID}/{fileno}, though I've never checked if "lfs getstripe" would work there or not.