[Lustre-discuss] md and mdadm in 1.8.7-wc1

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Tue Mar 20 09:25:22 PDT 2012

On 03/20/2012 12:18 PM, Samuel Aparicio wrote:
> Hello, thanks for this - it's a 16 disk raid10 (with one spare) so 24Tb.
> I previously tried 1.0 and 1.2 metadata, to no effect.
> we are using 256 chunk sizes, I haven't tried reverting to 64k but will
> do so.
>
> this looks to me like something different - there was an md patch for
> 2.6.18 kernels relating to updating of superblocks on arrays,
> which this might be ...
>
> the storage vendor has tried md with 3Tb disks and md version 3.2.3 and
> sees no problems, but this is also with a much later kernel version.
> I am not sure 3.2.3 would work with kernels as old as 2.6.18-274

It will, but the issue is more than likely the age of the kernel
combined with driver issues.  We'd tried AoE in the dim and distant
past, and found all manner of corruption problems we couldn't work around.

If you can update to a newer kernel, this might be a better course.
1.8.7+ builds against some of the more modern kernels.  I don't think
we've posted a build against our 2.6.32.58.scalable kernel, but I'll
look into it.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO