[Lustre-discuss] Seeking LNET router recomendations

Cliff White cliffw at whamcloud.com
Wed Mar 21 09:19:11 PDT 2012

- An OSS really can't be a router, an OSS is an endpoint.  Topologically,
it shouldn't work, you should re-think network layout.
- routing does place a load on the system, nodes doing routing should be
dedicated to routing.
- Load depends on traffic, basically you would have two hardware network
interfaces, and ideally would
be sending max traffic through both. Impact would depend on hardware types,
etc.

WIth ~400 nodes, you would want a 'pool' of routers, size of pool would
depend on your usage.
cliffw

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 11:25 AM, Hayes, Bob <bob.hayes at intel.com> wrote:

>  Are there any recommendations or guidelines for sizing a LNET routing
> facility.****
>
> ~400 nodes, 8 OSS (dual socket E5 w/48GB RAM), 24 OST (10spindle RAID6
> over SRP), 1 MGS/MDT****
>
> How much load does LNET routing put on a system?****
>
> If I make the 8 OSS systems do double duty as IB to IPoIB routers, will it
> have much impact on performance?****
>
> ** **
>
> *Bob Hayes*
>
> HPC Sys. Admin.****
>
> Intel Corp               Software & Services Group/DRD/CRT-DC            *
> ***
>
> DP3-307-H7            Tel:  (253)371-3040
> ****
>
> 2800 N Center Dr    Fax: (253)371-4647                 ****
>
> DuPont WA 98327   *bob.hayes at intel.com <mallick.arigapudi at intel.com>*****
>
> ** **