[Lustre-discuss] Frequent system calls cause high load on meta data server

Andreas Dilger adilger at whamcloud.com
Fri May 4 22:52:33 PDT 2012

On 2012-05-04, at 11:42 PM, Colin Faber wrote:
> Yes, this is somewhat expected behavior.  More client memory can help this as it allows for more local caching.

Actually, in this case the problem is that the client is repeatedly opening and closing the executable file, and that forces an RPC to the MDs each time, because the MDS has to prevent a file that is open for execution from being written to or truncated.

Lustre clients do have the ability to get a DLM lock from the MDS so that they can cache an open reference, but it isn't enabled for normal application opens, only for NFS.  I don't kow how to enable it per-se, but Oleg does.