[Lustre-discuss] Installing Lustre 2.2.0 on Debian Squeeze

Jose Angel Herrero Velasco - IMAP jherrero at atc.unican.es
Mon Oct 15 01:27:01 PDT 2012

Hi list,

For several weeks, I'm trying to create a simple outline of Lustre filesystem on Linux Debian squeeze. Because we are using debian, we are following the procedure in http://wiki.debian.org/Lustre and using the current version of luster 2.2, Debian Linux ported to http://pkg-lustre.alioth.debian.org

From what I've observed, the problem seems to be the creation of the filesystem "MGS" and then mount.
Initially, to create the file system "MGS/MDT," we must run mkfs.lustre avoiding default option "dirdata", which is not covered by the current version 2.2:

$ mkfs.lustre --fsname=lustrefs --mdt --mgs --reformat --mkfsoptions="-E stripe-width = 2-i 4096-O ^ dirdata" --failnode=mdserver-1 --mgsnode=mdserver-0 at tcp0 /dev/sdc1

After creating the system successfully, the next problem comes when committing mount the new filesystem:

$ mount -t luster /dev/sdc1 /mgs

It seems that the whole problem is loading the kernel module fsfilt_ldsikfs, which is dependent of "ldiskfs":

$ modprobe fsfilt_ldiskfs
FATAL: Error inserting fsfilt_ldiskfs (/ lib/modules/2.6.32-lustre-2.2/updates/kernel/fs/lustre/fsfilt_ldiskfs.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

Running "dmesg", we note the following:

$ dmesg
[81314.051179] fsfilt_ldiskfs: Unknown symbol jbd2_log_start_commit

As we can see, there are a symbol required that is not implemented in the module. This is the key to the problem. I guess solving this, we get to create completely server Lustre MGS …

Any idea if someone has managed to create the appropriate patch???

thanks

Jose Angel Herrero Velasco

Dto. Electrónica y Computadores (ATC)
Facultad de Ciencias