[Lustre-discuss] [wc-discuss] Bad reporting inodes free

Johann Lombardi johann.lombardi at linux.intel.com
Fri Sep 28 01:15:14 PDT 2012

On 28 sept. 2012, at 09:03, Alfonso Pardo wrote:
> If I am need more inodes in my OST, I have a big trouble!, becouse I will need format all OST in my production storage environment.
>
> Any ideas to increase the inodes number in my OST without formating?

The number of inodes is decided at mkfs time and can't be changed easily. If your OSTs are on lvm, one option could be to increase the size of the logical volumes and resize the backend ldiskfs filesystems. However, i'm not sure someone has ever tried this with ldiskfs/lustre, so i would not do this on a production filesystem w/o some testing first.

In any case, i think the issue here is that you seem to have a default stripe count of -1. That's why you are limited by the number of inodes available on one single OST. You should still be able to create ~1.250M x 18 = 22.5M 1-stripe files.

Cheers,
Johann