[Lustre-discuss] Lustre Community Roadmap Update, Realignment on 2.5

OpenSFS Administration admin at opensfs.org
Tue Aug 20 16:12:15 PDT 2013

Background

----------

The Lustre community has banded together to work on the development of the
Lustre source code.  As part of that effort, we regularly discuss the
roadmap for major Lustre releases.  We have developed a schedule of major
releases that occur every six months.

We recognize, however, that many organizations need a branch of Lustre that
they can run for much longer periods of time than six months.  To that end
we collectively decided that we would target the Lustre 2.4.0 feature
release to begin a side branch of Lustre to receive regularly scheduled
maintenance releases for a significant period of time (18 months or more).

Unfortunately, one particular feature that some folks feel strongly is an
absolute requirement, HSM (Hierarchical Storage Management), did not land on
the development branch in time for Lustre 2.4.0.  Happily HSM is now landed
on the master branch, and will appear in the next Lustre feature release,
version 2.5.0.

Rather than split the community effort between two closely spaced scheduled
maintenance release branches, we have decided to realign our efforts from
the 2.4 branch to the 2.5 branch.

An updated Community Lustre Roadmap has been posted here:

   http://lustre.opensfs.org/community-lustre-roadmap/

What this means in a Nutshell

-----------------------------

The Lustre 2.5 branch is the one for which we expect to see regularly
scheduled maintenance releases for an extended period of time (18+ months).

We no longer expect regularly scheduled maintenance releases on the Lustre
2.4 branch after the Lustre 2.4.2 release.  Our recommended upgrade path
after 2.4.2 is an upgrade to the latest 2.5.X release.

What to do if you are already committed to Lustre 2.4

If you have already committed to using Lustre 2.4 at your organization and
an upgrade to Lustre 2.5 is not either desired or possible, we recommend
that you contact your Lustre support vendor to find out which branches they
intend to support.  Some Lustre vendors offer support for branches beyond
the Community's officially recommended releases.

Some Lustre vendors have already announced their intent to continue
supporting their users who have committed to the Lustre 2.4 branch.

About OpenSFS

Open Scalable File Systems, Inc. is a strong and growing nonprofit
organization dedicated to the success of the LustreR file system. OpenSFS
was founded in 2010 to advance Lustre
<http://lustre.opensfs.org/download-lustre/> , ensuring it remains
vendor-neutral, open, and free. Since its inception, OpenSFS has been
responsible for advancing Lustre, delivering new releases
<http://lustre.opensfs.org/community-lustre-roadmap/>  on behalf of the open
source development community. Through working-groups, events, and ongoing
funding initiatives, OpenSFS <http://www.opensfs.org/>  harnesses the power
of collaborative development to fuel innovation and growth of Lustre
worldwide.

* Lustre is a registered trademark of Xyratex Technology Ltd.

OpenSFS Administration

3855 SW 153rd Drive Beaverton, OR 97006 USA

Phone: +1 503-619-0561 | Fax: +1 503-644-6708

Twitter:  <https://twitter.com/opensfs> @OpenSFS

Email:  <mailto:admin at opensfs.org> admin at opensfs.org | Website:
<http://www.opensfs.org> www.opensfs.org