[Lustre-discuss] Lustre buffer cache causes large system overhead.

Scott Nolin scott.nolin at ssec.wisc.edu
Fri Aug 23 07:36:34 PDT 2013

You might also try increasing the vfs_cache_pressure.

This will reclaim inode and dentry caches faster. Maybe that's the
problem, not page caches.

To be clear - I have no deep insight into Lustre's use of the client
cache, but you said you has lots of small files, which if lustre uses
the cache system like other filesystems means it may be inodes/dentries.
Filling up the page cache with files like you did in your other tests
wouldn't have the same effect. Just my guess here.

We had some experience years ago with the opposite sort of problem. We
have a big ftp server, and we want to *keep* inode/dentry data in the
linux cache, as there are often stupid numbers of files in directories.
Files were always flowing through the server, so the page cache would
force out the inode cache. Was surprised to find with linux there's no
ability to set a fixed inode cache size - the best you can do is
"suggest" with the cache pressure tunable.

Scott