[Lustre-discuss] Lost folders after changing MDS

Dilger, Andreas andreas.dilger at intel.com
Sat Feb 16 00:11:57 PST 2013

On 2013-02-14, at 9:46, "Alastair Ferguson" <aferguson at cmcrc.com<mailto:aferguson at cmcrc.com>> wrote:

OK, so our old MDS had hardware issues so I configured a new MGS / MDS on a VM (this is a backup lustre filesystem and I wanted to separate the MGS / MDS from OSS of the previous), and then did this

When you write that your files are missing, do you mean that they do not appear with "ls -l", or that they are present but contain no data?

I also upgraded from 1.8.8 to 2. I managed to mount the Lustre filesystem

Just as a general sysadmin rule, doing too many things at once makes it difficult to figure out what went wrong.
Was it the data migration?  Splitting off the MGS? Upgrading to 2.x (you don't report which version)?

However, there are hardly any files or folders there - most of them have disappeared, but they are clearly on the OSTs (according to the above command). Is there any way I can reindex the OST'S / MDS to recognise the files and folders properly?

Do you still have the old MDT storage? Have your mounted the new MDT as type ldiskfs to see if your files are there?  They would be located below the "ROOT/" directory inside the MDT filesystem.