[Lustre-discuss] Question about quotas.

Θεόδωρος Στυλιανός Κονδύλης theodoros.stylianos.kondylis at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 10:26:40 PST 2013

Hello to everyone.

We have a lustre (v1.8.4) test cluster with 2 MDSs, 2OSSs and 4 Clients.

I am experimenting with the quotas but something seems to not work.

In first I did a

cli1# lfs quotacheck /lustre
cli1# lfs quotaon -ug /lustre
cli1# lfs quota /lustre

To get ::

Disk quotas for user root (uid 0):
     Filesystem  kbytes   quota   limit   grace   files   quota   limit
grace
/lustre/jtest1/     [0]       0       0       -     [0]       0       0
  -
Some errors happened when getting quota info. Some devices may be not
working or deactivated. The data in "[]" is inaccurate.
Disk quotas for group root (gid 0):
     Filesystem  kbytes   quota   limit   grace   files   quota   limit
grace
/lustre/jtest1/     [0]       0       0       -     [0]       0       0
  -
Some errors happened when getting quota info. Some devices may be not
working or deactivated. The data in "[]" is inaccurate.

So I tried ::

mds2# cat /proc/fs/lustre/lquota/jtest1-MDT0000/quota_type
>> ug3
oss1# cat /proc/fs/lustre/lquota/jtest1-OST000{1,3}/quota_type
>> ug3

>> ug3

oss2# cat /proc/fs/lustre/lquota/jtest1-OST000{0,2}/quota_type
>> ug3
>> ug3

Then I tried ::

cli1# lfs quotaon -ugf /lustre
cli1# lfs quota /lustre
>>user quotas are not enabled.
>>group quotas are not enabled.
mds2# cat /proc/fs/lustre/lquota/jtest1-MDT0000/quota_type
>> 3
oss1# cat /proc/fs/lustre/lquota/jtest1-OST000{1,3}/quota_type
>> 3
>> 3
oss2# cat /proc/fs/lustre/lquota/jtest1-OST000{0,2}/quota_type
>> 3
>> 3

And then again ::

cli1# lfs quotaon -ug /lustre
cli1# lfs quota /lustre
>> Disk quotas for user root (uid 0):
     Filesystem  kbytes   quota   limit   grace   files   quota   limit
grace
>> /lustre/jtest1/     [0]       0       0       -     [0]       0       0
      -
>> Some errors happened when getting quota info. Some devices may be not
working or deactivated. The data in "[]" is inaccurate.
>> Disk quotas for group root (gid 0):
     Filesystem  kbytes   quota   limit   grace   files   quota   limit
grace
>> /lustre/jtest1/     [0]       0       0       -     [0]       0       0
      -
>> Some errors happened when getting quota info. Some devices may be not
working or deactivated. The data in "[]" is inaccurate.
mds2# cat /proc/fs/lustre/lquota/jtest1-MDT0000/quota_type
>> ug3
oss1# cat /proc/fs/lustre/lquota/jtest1-OST000{1,3}/quota_type
>> ug3
>> ug3
oss2# cat /proc/fs/lustre/lquota/jtest1-OST000{0,2}/quota_type
>> ug3
>> ug3

So I would like to make a few questions in case anyone knows.

First of all is this a known issue, or am I doing something wrong here? I
am forcing the quotaon and that reacts as if I did a quotaoff.

Furthermore I would like to ask about this number 3 in the quota_type files
in case anyone knows what does it mean and why is this necessary.

Finally if I am not doing something wrong here, is there a way to fix this ?

Thank you in advance for your time and any replies/guidance/directions.

Stelios.