[Lustre-discuss] Lustre client in 3.11-rc1

Peng Tao bergwolf at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 03:44:25 PDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 5:07 PM, Vikentsi Lapa <nop at tut.by> wrote:
> Hello all
>
> I trying to find more info about state of Lustre client in upstream kernel
> and  correct way to build client drivers.
> I see that drivers have dependencies that prevent Lustre part appears in
> configuration menu and it is easy to change. What is reason for broken
> dependency? What is proper way to enable Lustre client code to build it? And
> what to expect after building or this part need additional work to implement
> some features?

It was disabled because of build failures on various architectures
other than x86_64. There are patches to fix it but Greg has not yet
merged them. The process is that our patches need to reach Linus'
mainline through Greg KH, maintainer of the staging tree.

If you want to give it a try, you can take a look at my development
repo (https://github.com/bergwolf/linux/tree/lustre-latest). It fixes
all the build errors and contains other intermediate patches that I am
playing with (so unstable :-). Enable CONFIG_LUSTRE_FS and compile
kernel then you can have it. Of course, you still need userspace tools
from Intel repo. So I suggest building/installing Lustre from Intel
git master before switching to new kernel. Maybe we should provide a
configure option in master to let users build only userspace tools, or
is there already some?

Thanks,
Tao